Chilli Ginger Chinook Salmon
SKILL LEVEL Worth the Effort
| Cooks in 50 Minutes
- 1 dried lotus leaf
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon of minced pickled chilli
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons of caster sugar
- 500g salmon fillet
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch mint, coriander and Thai basil, leaves only
- 1 perilla leaf
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, fried shallots and chilli
- Heat BeefEater® BBQ to medium to high heat.
- Soak lotus leaf in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine marinade ingredients (ginger, kaffir lime leaves, chilli, garlic, fish sauce and caster sugar) in bowl, add salmon and toss to coat.
- Remove lotus leaf from cold water, squeeze to remove excess water and lay flat on workbench.
- Place salmon and marinade in middle of lotus leaf.
- Cut around salmon leaving enough lotus leaf to fold into tight envelope around fish, secure with toothpick.
- Place salmon on warming rack and close BBQ lid.
- Bake salmon for 10 minutes or until cooked.
To make salad
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, palm sugar and water in medium bowl.
- Add cucumber, tomato, mint, coriander, basil and perilla leaf and toss to combine.
- Remove salmon from lotus leaf and serve with Asian salad on top of betal leaves.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, fried shallots and chilli.
Serving suggestion – serve on betal leaves as a great canapé to serve with drinks