BBQ Glazed Leg of Ham
SKILL LEVEL Worth the Effort
| Cooks in 2 Hours
- 1 smoked leg of ham
- 20 cloves
- 300ml golden syrup
- 200g English mustard
- 400ml water
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Preheat BeefEater® BBQ to 190°C
- Cut excess fat layer from ham.
- Score remaining fat in a criss-cross fashion and then use the cloves to stud the ham in the centre of each square.
- Cover leg with foil and bake for 1 ½ hours, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the ham registers 42C.
- In a small saucepan combine remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the glaze is that of a coating consistency.
- Pass through a sieve to remove lumps.
- Remove foil from ham and increase the barbecue temperature slightly (to 200C).
- Brush generous amounts of glaze onto the ham and cook the ham, basting it about every 5 mins with the glaze, for a further 25 mins or until the thickest part of the ham registers 52C on the meat thermometer and the ham is evenly caramelised.
- Carve ham and serve with your favourite pickle and fresh rolls.